by learning to weave a simple basket follow a special series of lessons taught in a very special way
Join The 5 Day Māori Weaving Experience with Veranoa Hetet and step into the wonderful world of Māori Weaving in this immersive, hands-on, soul-satisfying experience
We guarantee, if you follow the lessons in order, you will weave a simple basket and deepen your understanding of tikanga and your appreciation for Māori Weaving along the way
What you'll experience . . .
(whenever it suits you in the day) for 5 days
- Get started on your weaving journey with this gentle introduction to the tikanga of Raranga
- Hands on activities so you can give it a go and see if it really is your thing
- With step-by-step guidance from Veranoa so you know exactly what to do
- Includes some of THE most important weaving classes Veranoa teaches
- The opportunity to share your 5 day experience with Veranoa and others
Gain hands-on, practical know-how as you learn to weave a simple basket all from the convenience of our mobile app or our website where our virtual classroom is open 24/7
Been meaning to make a start?
Now's the time!
Photo Courtesy of Soraya McConachy
5 Day Māori Weaving Experience with Veranoa
Frequently asked questions
What do I need?
- a good pair of scissors
- a sharp stanley knife
-a firm surface to weave on and preferably good natural light
- a source of harakeke but if you don't have hararkeke don't worry because you can still learn the raranga technique using alternative readily available materials
You will be shown how to properly gather and prepare harakeke for weaving during the 5 Day Experience
Can I still do this if I don't have harakeke?
Do I have to attend at a certain time of day or can I do the classes when it suits me?
Let's Weave Together
Next to weaving itself, teaching others how to weave is one of my greatest pleasures.
I've introduced thousands of people to the world of Māori weaving and I never tire of the joy it brings those who learn.
It's particularly satisfying to see someone who never had the opportunity to grow up with things Māori, start to feel at ease and more confident simply through learning how to weave a kono or a kete.
So if you thought about joining me to learn but you're not 100% sure then this is an ideal chance to give it a go and see how you feel at the end of the 5 days.
I look forward to sharing the excitement of Raranga with you,
with Veranoa Hetet